You’ve heard a lot about the benefits of using safety razors, but aren’t they a little scary to use?
Not only does a safety razor ensure a better shave, it is also more affordable and ensures a safer shave than other razor types—hence its name.
There are two different types of safety razors: single edge and double edge. The double edge safety razor is the best option if you are new to using a safety razor. Because the edges aren’t as sharp as other types of safety razors, it’s easy for novice shavers to quickly become comfortable with using a safety razor.
However, finding the best double edge razor can be overwhelming, especially if you aren’t sure of what to look for. We’ve done the work for you. Read on to learn more about a double edge razor, how it is designed, and how to find the best one for your shaving needs.
What is a Double Edge Razor?
Let’s start with the basics. Double edge razors are designed with sharp blades along the sides. However, these blades are significantly less sharp than single edge blades.
Double edge blades are also extremely affordable. You can buy them in bulk packages for a relatively low price, making safety razors more cost effective than cartridge razors over a longer period.
How are Double Edge Razors Designed?
There are several types of double edge razors: two-piece, three-piece, butterfly, and adjustable.
Here’s a quick summary of each:
- Two-Piece: This double edge razor comes in two pieces. It unscrews at the handle to replace the Yes, this type of double edge razor is incredibly simple, however, this level of simplicity also makes this type of razor more difficult to clean.
- Three-Piece: This type is easier to clean than the two-piece, and doesn’t contain any moveable parts. The three-piece razor is also the most popular razor on the market.
- Butterfly: The “twist-to-open” razor makes swapping blades easy. Again, this simplicity makes it more difficult to clean and it also doesn’t last as long as some other types of double edge razors.
- Adjustable: This type of double edge razor is more expensive than other types, but it also more customize-able, allowing users to adjust the length for a closer or safer shave. This is a better option for the more experienced safety razor shavers.
How to Find a Good Double Edge Razor
As we mentioned above, most double edge razors are ideal for beginner shavers. They are easy to use, clean, and replace the blades. Double edge safety razors are also durable.
Finding the right razor is critical. When researching the best double edge razors, consider the handle size, style and design, and weight. For example, if you have larger hands, then a bigger razor will obviously work better for you. Stronger men prefer heavier razors because the weight prevents shavers from using excessive pressure.
The Top 4 Best Double Edge Safety Razors
And now, without further adieu, here are the top four best double edge safety razors. Each of these are incredibly durable and provide a great shave. They can also be found on Amazon, online or in any store.
- Baxter of California Safety Razor: This lightweight razor is the best for safety razor beginners. It also comes with five starter blades. Although the price is a bit on the high side, the quality of the razor and the starter blades make this product a great value.
- Seki Edge Feather AS-D2: This double edge razor model is designed with stainless surgical steel. It is also equipped with sharp edges. The feather blades cut facial hair better than its counterparts; however, this particular razor is best for experienced safety razor users. The price might be on the high side, but its users adore it and believe it is well worth the price.
- Merkur Progress: This German razor is the perfect adjustable razor. You can get a safe shave or an aggressively close shave in just five settings. This razor has a smaller head and easy maneuverability, making it a preferred choice by many novice safety razor users. Additionally, because of its adjustable settings, many experienced safety razor users prefer this model as well. While not as popular as the Classic Merkur 34C safety razor, the Progress still delivers.
- Lil’ Chubby: Rated as the best low-cost razor, this is perfect for beginners. This durable razor provides a close shave. Beginners love it because the simplistic design allows them to pinpoint the right angle for the closest shave.
A Close Yet Safe Shave
Now that you are armed with more information about double edge razors, you should feel more confident about trying a safety razor. Double edge razors provide close yet incredibly safe shaves. For beginners, double edge razors are the best choice.