Choosing a safety razor isn’t to be taken lightly – literally or figuratively. Safety razors are designed for durability and longevity. Unlike disposable razors, safety razors are more expensive up front. However, blade replacement and lifelong durability make safety razors the better and more cost effective option over the long term.
If you are new to the world of safety razors, then you are probably unsure of what to look for in a safety razor. Don’t worry—we’ve got you covered. In this article, we will not only tell you the most important factors to consider when choosing a safety razor, but also our favorite safety razor picks.
Not all safety razors are created equal. The best safety razors stand out for different reasons. Here are some of our favorites:
- Merkur Long Handle: With a great price and a design for beginners, this is the perfect razor to begin your safety razor shaving journey. The lightweight design makes it easy to handle. If you’re switching from disposable or cartridge razors, this safety razor will make the transition easy.
- Parker 99R: This razor is where style meets efficiency. It’s the flashiest safety razor on the list. The butterfly design makes changing blades easy. One of the heavier razors, this is perfect for men with larger hands.
- Jagger DE8: A high-quality design is why this razor tops our list. Whether you’re a beginner or an “old hand” with safety razors, this model is a favorite. Jagger sought middle ground with weight, handle length, and ease of blade changing. They got it right.
- Seki Edge Feather: Although this razor is one of the more expensive models, it’s worth the price. The lightweight design feels inexpensive, but medical-grade steel and the sharpest blades in the industry prove its worth.
- Rockwell 6C: Adjustable safety razors are perfect for beginners. The Rockwell 6C just might be the best adjustable safety razor on the market. Beginners will appreciate and enjoy learning how to use a safety razor while also gaining more control over their shave.
- Blackbird by Blackland Razors. The Blackbird safety razor by Blackland Razors is machined and inspired after the Blackbird aircraft. It has the perfect blade gap, a great design and the ideal weight among competing razors in its price point.
Yes, there are many safety razors available for all types of shavers. After you determine which razor is best suited for you, you can practice your wet shaving technique until you master it. With safety razor in hand, we are willing to bet that you will enjoy a much smoother, comfortable shave and healthier skin.